World Drug Report 2021 – two webinars for civil society
On July 13th and 15th 2021 the Vienna NGO Committee on Drugs (VNGOC) together with the UNODC Civil Society Unit (CSU) hosted two webinars for civil society presenting and discussing the World Drug Report 2021. The first webinar provided a spotlight on the latest trends in Asia/Pacific and Europe, the second focused on the data available for Africa and the Americas.
In case you missed them we recorded the webinars and you can find the presentations below.
Each webinar featured a presentation on the global trends showcased in the World Drug Report 2021 by the Chief of the UNODC Drugs Research Section, Chloe Carpentier, and regional presentations by UNODC Expert and Senior Drugs Researcher Thomas Pietschmann. Civil society representatives from Afghanistan, India, Nigeria and Argentina provided insights on how the data published in the World Drug Report influences their work.
The events also allowed participants to ask questions and discuss aspects of the World Drug Report of particular interest to them. Chloe Carpentier and Thomas Pietschmann answered questions that ranged from the impact of COVID-19 on treatment services, to possible policy responses to the demographic challenges projected in Africa and the possibilities for support of civil society organisations.
To support NGOs in sharing best practises and current developments the UNODC CSU and the VNGOC developed an interactive online platform, the NGO Marketplace. Mirella-Dummar Frahi, Chief of the UNODC CSU encouraged all participants to post about their activities on the platform.
- World Drug Report 2021
- Recordings: July 13th: Asia & Europe & July 15th: Africa & the Americas
- Presentation: Global Trends (Chloe Carpentier, Chief UNODC Drugs Research Section)
- Presentation: Asia & Oceania (Thomas Pietschmann, UNODC Drugs Researcher)
- Presentation: Europe (Thomas Pietschmann, UNODC Drugs Researcher)
- Presentation: Africa (Thomas Pietschmann, UNODC Drugs Researcher)
- Presentation: the Americas (Thomas Pietschmann, UNODC Drugs Researcher)
- Civil society presentation: Dr. Hakimullah Salih, Afghanistan Green Crescent Organisation
- Civil society presentation: Mariana Souto Zabaleta, Instituto Latinamericano en Seguridad y Democracia (ILSED) Argentina (Spanish, English)
- Civil society presentation: Dr. Mohammad A. Audi Kongila, Green Crescent Health Development Initiative Nigeria